The Panviva Newsletter | 2nd Edition | December 2020
This newsletter is designed to inform and educate our customers on Panviva and how to get the most from your subscription. Our goal is to keep a consistent format for every issue which we plan to send quarterly. Have feedback or ideas you would like to see included in future issues? Want to add someone or have yourself removed from future mailings? Please email the Customer Success Group at .
- Panviva recently switched SSO identity providers from Ping Identity to Okta. If you are interested in adding Single Sign-On functionality to your instance, please contact your account manager.
- To help make integrations with other applications easier, we recently launched a Connector for the Microsoft Power Platform and a Zapier Integration. To learn more about the capabilities of these RPAs (Robotic Process Automation) and other benefits of our API platform check out our Digital Experiences section below.
- Email functionality for collaboration hub feedback is now here. Check out details in the Release Roundup section in this newsletter. If you are still using legacy feedback and ready to switch, please contact the CAC ().
- In 2021 our team plans to develop new operational governance and auditing tools, commence development of an advanced analytics platform, enhanced functionality to Digital Orchestrator, and work on several of your enhancement requests as well.
- The new Panviva website will be launching at the start of the new year. Let us know what you think!
Tips & Tricks: Use the Quicklinks grid to add color to your documents
A nifty design trick is to use the Quicklinks grid to create text with a color applied, text with color and a color background or just box(es) with color backgrounds. To do this:
- Place your cursor where you want to place the color element.
- Insert a Quicklinks grid.
- Select one column and one row. (You can create more columns and rows if you want. This example is for creating just one color box that goes from the left to right.)
- Edit the Grid to select a color to the box(es).
- Edit the Cell to put text in the box (i.e. complete the Label field) and then select a color for the text and background.
Best practices: User Roles & License Count
How licenses are counted
We often get support tickets asking, “how many licenses am I using?” There’s an easy way to find out. However, getting the true license count involves ensuring your users and roles are set up properly in an effective and efficient way. Thus, your answer lies in taking a look at the whole picture to ensure you’re doing the right things to get the right numbers. Here are a few things you should know:
- Anyone in the viewer_users role is using a license. It is a system role and is meant specifically for counting license usage.
- All usernames are captured in the anybody This is also a system role and is meant for ensuring there are no duplicate usernames.
- By default, your database is set up so that the anybody role is in the viewer_users Thus, any username in your system is using a license.
The default of having the anybody role in the viewer_users role is fine if you routinely delete users. However, be aware that when you delete a user you also delete their history from reports.
How to retain history for users
To retain the history for users who no longer take up an active license, follow this best practice:
- Add all active users to the viewer_users
- Remove the anybody role from the viewer_users
- Create a custom role titled Inactive users (or any role name that that makes sense to you such as No longer active, )
- When a person leaves your organization or is no longer using Panviva, add them to the Inactive users role and remove them from any other role.
How to get the license count
To see how many people are actively using a license, you can export a list of all usernames in your system to a .csv file. You can then open the file, look at the people in the viewer_users role and count how many you have. To do this, follow these steps:
- In the User management tab, click the More menu and select Export users.
- Type a filename in the File name (You don’t need to add the .csv; the system will automatically add that when you select the export location.)
- Select the export location. (This will be your local hard drive or network drive.)
- Navigate to the location you saved the file to and open it. (You’ll need Excel to open it.)
- The file opens and you’ll see something like this:
- Simply sort the role column alphabetically and then you can easily count the number of people in the viewer_users
Users can be in a variety of roles, but it is only the viewer_users role that counts the user as a license.
In the next edition we’ll take a look at best practices for creating custom roles so that you can better plan for future growth. If you would like to review this topic in further detail (or any other), schedule a Panviva Pro session to discuss with one of our in-house experts!
As many of you know, Panviva updates its software every 6-8 weeks. This section of the Newsletter will provide insights into the updates with a specific focus on highlighting benefits of new features and enhancements. With this being our first, we thought we would highlight updates made since the start of the year.
- 20.10 | Collaboration Hub email notifications: When we introduced Collaboration Hub (Enhanced Feedback) a little over a year ago, the response was extremely positive as it provided customers a way to better track their internal feedback and gave end users better visibility into what others had submitted. However, the loss of email notifications has prevented many customers from switching over from legacy feedback and is the number one enhancement request we have received over the past year. We are pleased to announce that email notifications are now an option you can enable for document owners when feedback has been submitted, as well as when feedback has been assigned and updated. There is even an option to assign a centralized email address for all feedback submissions. Click here to learn more about Email notifications for Collaboration Hub
- AutoSave review comments: If you have ever become distracted while reviewing documents you may have found all your notes went missing if you didn’t get a chance to save. Now, you have the ability to turn on our new AutoSave enhancement and avoid losing progress by not saving manually. AutoSave works when there are new, edited or deleted comments and is set to save every 10 minutes.
- 20.09 | Link to your current document in a breeze: This enhancement request was implemented to make it easier when creating an Internal link within a specific document. Previously, you would need to browse folders and documents when linking within the document you were working on. Now there is an option to select “Current document” which is a nice time saver. *Worth noting that when initially released, users were unable to scroll and had to use arrow button to select internal tabs. That has since been addressed in 20.10 release.
- 20.08 | Delays in publishing document updates / Welcome pages disappearing after update:
These were two of the issues we had fixed in the 20.08 release. While uncommon, we have received notice that a few customers experienced similar issues since. Please be aware while the end result appears the same, the cause will be different. While we work on addressing any issues raised, please submit a ticket right away should you experience any publishing delays or missing Welcome pages
Introduction to the Panviva Knowledge Platform:
Since 1996, Panviva has been helping our customers to better train and support their employees. We recognized the struggles businesses encountered trying to train on the complex processes, policies and products needed to support their front-line customer service teams and back office operations.
After 20 years of driving efficiencies through improved access to information, resources and step by step guidance at the moment of need in three clicks or less, we identified new ways to further help businesses by expanding our Knowledge Management solution into a full Knowledge Management Platform. So how does one go about turning a process guidance desktop solution into a Knowledge Platform?
The first step was to better understand the growing needs of our customers and determine how we could best address them. The three needs we identified and focused on were:
- How to help employees get quicker access to contextual answers and guidance.
- Expand access to the knowledge managed in Panviva.
- Provide better insights and analytics to help make better and more informed decisions.
Next, we needed to determine how best to address those needs. We found the best option for long term success was using APIs that could expand the scope and reach of Panviva beyond its core desktop solution. API stands for Application Programming Interface, but it’s best to think of an API simply as a connector. It can help connect Panviva to other applications and other applications to Panviva and thus expand the value of our solution and address the needs identified above. Now with the help of these connectors you will be able to push contextual guidance to employees, provide answers for internal and external chat bots, publish content across a variety of digital channels to ensure consistency of messaging for your employees and customers and so much more!
Here is a quick explanation of the types of APIs we offer:
Live API: These connectors allow other applications (software, IVRs, etc.) to provide contextual triggers to Panviva that can push the right document to the right person at the right time. Whether completely automated or at the request of an end user, these connections drive further efficiencies for internal teams.
Content API: Keeping information consistent across channels can be difficult when managing content in silos. By using our content APIs you can ensure the same information will be available to everyone at once whether it’s an employee in your call center looking up information directly in Panviva or someone visiting your website.
Artifacts API: While similar to the Content API, this connector leverages the Panviva Digital Orchestrator solution to curate and modify content to better serve the channel and audience it is intended for. These content snippets can feed answers to chat bots, IVRs, webpages and much more.
Image API: Just like the Content API which allows you to publish text to multiple channels this API allows you to do the same for images managed in Panviva.
Search API: This API will search the Panviva database for a given term and return the results. The result set will contain metadata of documents, folders and external files.
NLS API: While similar to the Search API above, this connector can deliver more targeted results by performing a natural language search across all responses curated within the Digital Orchestrator’s Content Curator application. This API allows more complex features such as filtering with custom properties and faceting with categories. The content embedded within results will return the main response text by default, however this can be changed by specifying a channel. When a channel is present, the response variation for that specific channel configured in the Digital Orchestrator Response will be returned as the content. This makes this API ideal for conversational services such as chatbots.
Robotic Process Automation: RPA is software that automates rules-based actions performed on a computer. Our Power Platform connector and Zapier “Zap” make it easy for anyone to set up these connections without any coding experience. The Panviva RPA connectors enable you to:
- Push your information to any platform (CRM, Social Media etc.) when information changes.
- Set up real time notifications on platforms like SMS, Teams, Slack or email when certain events and actions are triggered.
- Export documents to different formats.
- Power your bots with governed knowledge and information.
- Monitor newly created content & setup alerts and automatic validation.
- And much more. You are only as limited as your imagination.
In future newsletters, you can expect to learn more about the world of possibilities when it comes to integrating Panviva with your website, IVR, software applications and any other digital channel you can think of. However, if you would like to learn more about how the Panviva API Platform can drive further value within your organization today, please contact your account manager for an overview and have your IT team check out our Developers Portal to see how we make integrations easy.
Hi, I’m Kristina Chaston and I run the Customer Advocacy team here at Panviva. That means the customer/product support team who operate to ensure you have an available product and people to answer any questions you may have on it. We work closely with our sales and operational teams, including product and development, to deliver services to you and to advocate for your requests and changes. Our priority therefore, is ensuring you have a great experience any time you use our products and that we support you to make the most of them within your business.
Outside of the office, I have two young boys who keep me and my husband on our toes with activities and a thousand questions a minute! I also have a weakness for food, coffee and great wine but I love the gym too, so it tends to balance out.
I also love a good chat and I would be happy to speak with you at any time – please feel free to reach out.
Telstra’s Field Services team has one of the largest technical field workforces in Australia.
As Australia’s leading telecommunications company, Telstra offers a full range of communications services, competing in all telecommunications markets. With a global presence across 20 countries, Telstra recently received recognition from brand valuation consultancy Brand Finance as Australia’s most valuable brand. But Telstra is not resting on its laurels.
About Field Services
GBS Field Services proudly has one of the largest technical field workforces in
Telstra’s Field Services team has one of the largest technical field workforces in Australia, supported by a number of subcontractors. Our service technicians are based all over the country and travel millions of kilometres each year serving customers in their homes and businesses. We service customers in the metro, regional and remote areas with no town off-limits. If we can’t get there by road, we can use other means available including boat, fixed-wing aircraft and helicopters.
Our national field workforce is the face of Telstra that connects and restores services for our consumer, small businesses and enterprise customers. Our work continues in rain, hail or shine and we’re often one of the first utilities allowed on the ground after flooding and bushfires.
The rapid advancements in technology and demand continue to drive our workforce to be adaptable and evolve with a continued focus on learning and development coupled with the very best in digital tools.
The Business Problem
Our legacy of providing communications services for Australians for over a century has resulted in a large number of knowledge repositories containing information relating to all the technologies which have evolved throughout our time. With the exponential growth in technology advancements and products that we commission and maintain, retaining the valuable information of yesterday while also producing the guidance for tomorrow became increasingly important. So, in 2018, the Field Services Digitisation team was put together to shape the digitals tools our field workforce would require.
The problem we faced was how to collate content from multiple sources such as SharePoint, EDMS (Electronic Document Management System), Shared folders and many other knowledge repositories that we were trying to decommission.
Panviva provided our team with a number of options to provide a single location that could be accessed by office-based staff directly from the Panviva application, but also by field staff using a diagnostic tool in the field via the Panviva Digital Orchestrator and API’s. This meant that we could deliver the same content that office-based staff had access to in Panviva directly into the Digital Tools we were building.
We started with the plan to create a testing and diagnostic tool to have the capability to test any service and provide the contextual information required to service that customer. This tool was accompanied by a Chatbot designed to improve communications with our support teams. While working on these products we also were looking at how to improve our knowledge management.
We are using Panviva as our single source of truth for all content whether new or old, accessed via Panviva application itself or via the Digital Tools we create, including the field service technician’s Chatbot. Regardless of the individual’s role or device they are operating from, they are always able to refer to the most accurate information. By undertaking the migration to Panviva we have enabled further growth of our workforce and the variety of work they can now perform. Regardless of skill level, we are confident that they have access to the latest information, in an easy to consume format, in Chatbots, and also in the applications they utilise to perform their diagnostics.
The next exciting item our team is eager to start exploring is Panviva’s Microsoft Power Platform connector. Our team is a heavy user of the Power Platform from Microsoft and we have developed several PowerApps to solve a variety of Business Problems. This connector will enable us to deliver the same content being accessed from Panviva directly into the PowerApp, removing the need to switch from application to application. This continues our approach of having Panviva as the single source of truth regardless of how the content is consumed.
Below are some articles publicly available which mentions our team’s work: